Employers must show that pay equity has been both achieved and maintained in their organization. To meet the minimum requirements of the Act, employers must carry out the following activities (if an employer has more than one location or "establishment", these activities must be done for each establishment):
- Determine job classes, including gender and job rate of job classes.
- Determine the value of job classes based on legislative requirements of skill, effort, responsibility and working conditions using a gender neutral comparison tool.
- Conduct job comparison for all female job classes using job-to-job and/or proportional value method of comparison.
- Identify and adjust the compensation of underpaid female job classes so that they are paid at least as much as an equal or comparable male job class or classes. All retroactive payment must include interest.
- Provide payroll summary and proof of payment as required.